Campfires are a great way to prepare all your camp food, and interestingly, you can experiment and make just about any meals including baking a cake. Learning how to make a cake over a campfire isn’t far-fetched as there are tons of meals that can be prepared over a campfire.
If you are stuck at camp with a few buddies and one of your camping buddies has a birthday celebration planned out in camp, you could make it more fun by making a cake which isn’t just tasty but very hygienic.
Don’t fret over how it would turn out; if you follow the instructions below you’ll have a perfectly made cake within minutes
As a beginner, it could be tricky, but it’s very easy to prepare cakes over a camp fire just have your measurements for the cake set aside and baking materials also.
For starters, you need to use these measurements listed below or tinker a bit and find the perfect measurement to accommodate all your camping crew.
While you are still thinking about how to make cake over a campfire, and if you should indeed go ahead with eating cake for breakfast, here are a few useful tidbits on the health benefits of cake.
i. While you are still thinking about how to make cake over a campfire, and if you should indeed go ahead with eating cake for breakfast, here are a few useful tidbits on the health benefits of cake.
ii. Contains fats for energy accumulation and keeping the body warm. The shortening and frosting ingredients used in making cakes are high fat compounds and great for providing body heat during cold days or winter seasons as well as energy for the daily tasks carried out by the body.
iii. The fibers present in cakes aid digestion. Making cakes with fruits like apples, pineapples, oranges and so on can prove very useful in helping our body function well. Their fiber contents for instance aids digestion.
iv. The presence of protein which helps builds the body. Cakes made with milk are very rich in protein which contains nutrients that help in solidifying our bones and teeth.
Now let’s talk about how to make a cake over a campfire.
We would be sharing two methods of making your cake over a campfire. The first method is made using a frying pan or skillet and the second is having the cake made in the orange filler.
- 1½ cups of flour
- ½ tablespoon of baking powder
- 1½ cups of cold water
- ½ tablespoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of powdered egg
- 4 tablespoons of honey or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla flavoring
- 2/3 cup of powdered milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoon of melted margarine
- 2 tablespoon powdered egg
- Birthday candles (optional)
- Skillet or Frying pan
1st Step: Before goes out camping…
The first step to take is to plan ahead! If you have it at the back your mind that you would be making a birthday cake or just about any cake over at your camp site, then prepare for to make the cake. Have all your materials and ingredients ready and set aside.
Take adequate measurements of the ingredients you would use to make the cake at home before you head out to camp. If you’ve done your part by measuring in advance, the preparation process would be way easier when you get to camp. Ensure you gather and put all dry ingredients into a Ziploc bag. You can also label them for easy identification.
2nd Step: At camp…
Once you have headed out to camp and would like to prepare your cake, mix the entire dry ingredients in a clean pot and have the liquid ingredients added gently. Stir thoroughly till the mixture is smooth.
Now is time to have your campfire put on. You could use a carry-on backpacking stove. If you are making do with a stove, make sure it’s set to medium heat.
Has your mixed batter poured into a non-stick skillet or frying pan of about 12” and covered with a lid? Gently place the skillet or frying pan on the stove.
To avoid some parts of the cake getting burnt, it’s recommended to have the pan or skillet rotated a couple of times during the baking process. Also, ensure the stove doesn’t get too hot.
Have the cake cooked for about 20 minutes or better yet once it turns golden brown. To confirm it’s done, have a pine needle or a knife inserted in the middle of the baked cake. If it’s done, it will come out free of smeared cake mixtures.
Once done, you can bring down the cake from the frying pan and have it cooled down. You can do this by turning the frying pan or skillet over while gently tapping the bottom to let the cake slide out. Have a flat plate ready to catch the cake once it’s coming out. Place the plate on a flat, clean surface and have it cool. If however the weather is a bit windy, you could just have it cool inside of the frying pan or skillet to avoid the cake being riddled with flying dirt in camp.
You could spice up your cake by frosting with either chocolate frosting (if available) or sweet peanut butter and sugar mix. Have a few birthday candles inserted into your cake and light them up to bring the birthday celebration to a peak?
This second method of making cake over a campfire is an absorbing method and has been around for a while now. So far, countless campers have put this method to the test and are wowed at the turnout. After all, who wouldn’t like to have his cake baked in an orange?!
For starters, let’s talk about the key ingredients which include;
- Egg replacer
- Oranges (get as many as there are campers available)
- Organic apple sauce
- Baking powder
- Vanilla or chocolate flavoring
Once you have all your ingredients set aside (please ensure you have taken the precise measurement of each before heading out to camp, just as indicated in the first method), it’s now time to have your orange filled cake baking over a camp fire.
PS: This method is a vegan method, that’s where egg replacement and Applesauce comes in – they are used in place of eggs and milk. Also, this vegan method is a tab bit less unconvincing than making a cake with raw eggs over at a campsite.
- Your first step is to light a fire. If you are so into the Boy Scout enchantment, you could improvise with materials over at the camp to start a fire. If you aren’t, feel free to make do with a lighter. It’s faster, more convenient and less stressful. The best part is, no one would know the fire was started with a lighter.
- Once you have your fire burning, get your oranges prepped. Cut about 1/3 of the orange, separating the lid from the body. Once that is done, remove the orange innards. You can use a knife to gently pry out the flesh of the orange fruit. If you can’t handle the insides of the bottom with a knife, feel free to use a spoon if it makes the work easier. If you’d like to still have the orange flavor after the cake is done, ensure you rinse the orange cover and pour a bit of the orange juice into the orange filler.
- The next step is to mix up the batter which you would be baking. You can make do with any recipes you feel you are conversant in. Be creative with your choice, you could either work with vanilla or chocolate flavoring.
- Next step is to fill the orange with the batter. Baking powder would have the cake rise, so it’s always advisable to leave some space should the batter rise while it’s being baked. If you don’t leave some space, it might end up overflowing in the fire.
- Once the orange is filled with the cake mixture, it’s time to cover it up and bake. Do this by simply placing the top half of the orange (the lid) and wrap it with an aluminum foil. You can also use toothpicks to hold the sides of the orange (the lid and the orange filler).
- Now you can bake your cake in your campfire. You should, however, take into consideration, the heat level of the fire. It shouldn’t be too hot to avoid burning your cake. On average, 10 minutes should have your cake all browned and well cooked.
- Once you are sure your cakes are made, get them off the fire – or should I say the oranges. Remove the tops of the oranges and let the cake inside cool. If you are using them to celebrate a birthday, you could just pop in some candles and have your camping crew gather round to sing a couple of hearty happy birthday songs while you wait for the cakes to cool. Enjoy your campfire baked the cake.